Friday, July 22, 2011

The New Plan

I'm trying to decide if Weight Watcher's decision to completely change the way you count points was a nutritional decision or a financial decision.  At this point, I'm guessing it was financial.  Thousands and thousands of people had all the materials they needed to count points and "do" Weight Watchers on their own and therefore, no longer having a need to become a member or go to the meetings.  Now that they've changed things up, everyone has to purchase all new materials and therefore increasing their revenue by a ton!

Previously, the point system was based on three things....calories, fat and fiber.  Typically, the higher the fiber content meant the points would be lower.  WW provided you with a cardboard "slide" that calculated the points based on the nutritional value of the food item.  Now, it's totally different.  The Points Plus program is  calculated using fat, carbs, fiber and protein.  This means that you can't use the slide anymore.  Instead, they encourage you to purchase a points calculator or use their e-tools that they provide on their website.   In addition, all of the points books, dining out companion and restaurant guides are now obsolete. 

I'm still trying to get used to this new system.  For instance, before the change, pretty much every food item had a point value.  Now, most fruits and vegetables are ZERO points!  I'm used to a large banana being 3 points...now it's no points.  This is playing with my mind!  I always thought that most fruit had a very high sugar content and while it's healthy to eat several servings a day, I assumed you shouldn't go hog wild because it can cause your pancreas to do flips! 

I'm not feeling deprived at all.  I get a total of 43 points per day and I can earn more points if I exercise.  I'm also allowed an additional 49 points for the entire week (basically 7 extra points each day)!  I could eat all of those extra points in one day or spread them out.  Either way, it seems like A LOT of points to me.

So far this week I have logged every single thing I've put in my mouth, including a McDonald's lunch on Tuesday and a slice of Sbarro's pizza tonight!  I've stayed within my point allowance each day!  I've poured tons of water down my throat and have begun to really limit the amount of diet coke I ingest.  Tonight, we took the kids to the mall (it's so hot here!) and played indoor miniature golf!  Then we walked to JC Penney's, Sears and Dillard's looking for school shoes for the kids.  We were unsuccessful with the shoes, but I managed to get some exercise in walking at a pretty brisk pace for at least 30 minutes.  If you want to know the truth, I feel pretty good.  I haven't had to use my inhaler for about 36 hours and I haven't coughed as much.  I think it's because I'm keeping myself better hydrated...and I'm moving more.

These are very small baby steps, but I'll take what I can get!  I'm actually looking forward to weigh-in on Monday night.  Who's with me?

5 comments:

  1. What a great week! Wish I could afford WW, but I am with you in my own way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a great first week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to look into this WW on line thing. I'll let you know what I decide, but . . . okay. I'm 161 pounds at 41yo and 5'4". I need to drop 30 to be comfortable . . . I have to change so much, beginning with eating breakfast. I skip that 99.9% of my life. I have to retrain myself. Pray for me? I have people tell me all the time that no way am I that much and I look great etc. etc. and I think they are maybe telling the truth or just trying to make me feel better "right now" - I know I need to drop weight and I think people are just trying to be nice. I don't care if it's 90, 120 or 10 pounds a person has to lose, it's hard work and we need ENCOURAGEMENT. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I weight less than that. 158 this morning . . . but still. I flux between those numbers and never get anywhere. I put a tracker on my blog. I think that will motivate me and I will prayerfully consider the WW. You are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are correct about fruit.
    And YAY for you doing so well this week!!!

    ReplyDelete